The prerequisites for Solr are often missed. Here are the steps to add the necessary roles and features.
Here are the exact steps to install the needed roles and features in Server 2012 R2(the steps should be very similar in Server 2008r2).
- Open Server Manager on the Solr machine.
- Click Add roles and features.
- Click Next > until you get to Server Roles.
- Click the Application Server checkbox.
- Click the Web Server (IIS) role.
- In the resulting screen click Add Features.
- Click Next to advance to Features.
- Check ASP.Net 4.5.
- In WCF Services check HTTP Activation.
- Click Next to advance into Application Server Role Services.
- Click the checkbox for Web Server (IIS) Support.
- Click Add Features.
- Under Windows Process Activation Service Support, check HTTP Activation.
- Click the check box next for .Net Extensibility 4.5.
- Click Next twice to advance into Web Server Role (IIS) Role Services.
- Under Performance, make certain Static Content Compression is checked.
- Click Next and then Install on the next screen.