When search results are appearing but PDF asset files are not showing up, there may be a problem with the component that filters the PDF file. The Adobe IFilter is called on to scan the PDF file and create a .txt file which is, in turn, indexed by the Indexing Service. The SearchConfigUI utility is usually executed when search results differ from those expected. Trouble processing the PDF files may exhibit itself as an error (in the log tab) such as, system.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
- Using the Add/Remove Programs (or Uninstall or change a program) utility, remove any existing Adobe Reader or Adobe IFilter programs.
- Go to http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/
- Select your operating system and language.
- In the Select a version drop down, select Reader 9.5. (Do not select any later versions as they were not tested and there are compatibility issues.
- After downloading, install Adobe Reader. The Reader includes the necessary IFilter files.