The end of support for Windows Server 2003 occurs on July 14, 2015. So, you may want to update your CMS server to Windows Server 2008/2008R2. There are some changes to look out for with updating your CMS server, namely the Indexing Service.
For more details about Windows Server 2003 end of life, see http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/windows-server-2003/ .
Below are key points to research to begin ensuring your Indexing Service can perform as expected.
- Install Indexing Service on Windows Server 2008/2008R2. This article explains how to do that.
- If you want to upgrade from Windows 2003 to 2012, you must upgrade to Ektron 9.x because Ektron 8.0X or prior are not supported with Windows 2012.
Read these articles to learn about the Indexing Service and Windows Server 2012, as well as Ektron's System Requirements.
- Did you install any Microsoft Security updates? Review this article to make sure that Microsoft Update KB2698365 was addressed. This update can prevent the Indexing Service from sending results after you run Ektron's SearchConfigUI utility.
- After the Indexing Service is installed and the Security Update is addressed, it's time to see if the EktronWindowService3.0 started correctly. Stop and start the EktronWindowService3.0, then bring up the Event Viewer>Application and Services Logs>EktronL2. If you see
Service started successfully , continue. If not, review this article and its related articles to assist.
- While in Services, is your Indexing Service marked as
- One more check box to fill in! Does your folder structure have the proper permissions? We typically see Ektron site's running under Network Service (found under the Application Pool Identity), and 'Local System' for the EktronWindowService3.0 (found under
Services>Log On As column ). Check your site root folder to see if System and Network Service has full permission. This could help if you're running into the SearchConfigUI utility getting stuck.
- Are you running a 32 or 64 bit OS? For Indexing Search to run correctly, the version under which your Application Pool runs (
Advanced Settings>Enable 32 bit: True/False ) must match the OS bit version. If your system is on a 32-bit OS, the CMS site's Application Pool should be
Enable 32 bit: True . If your system is on a 64-bit OS, the Application Pool should be
Enable 32 bit: False .
- Run the Ektron SearchConfigUI utility to index the site. Typically, the utility is installed under
C:\Program Files (x86)\Ektron\CMS400v80\Utilities\SOFTWARE\SearchConfig. Choose Run as Administrator when running the utility (even if you are an Administrator on the server). Then, confirm your settings under the Configuration and Advanced tabs.
Start . The utility should complete after a few minutes. The length of time is dependent on the environment and number of items being indexed.
Note: If you run into issues with search results not returning, adjust the site's web.config file as follows:
[add value="3" name="LogLevel"] [add]
Then, perform another Basic Search in the workarea. Navigate to the Event Viewer>Windows Logs>Application . Look for warnings or errors. This should help diagnose the problem.