If you do not follow the steps below when upgrading to Solr 6.2 - used by Ektron 9.2 - you may see this error when registering a site.
Oops! Something went wrong... A preliminary status check for the search environment has failed. The most common reasons for this are that the target Ektron site is currently being crawled, Solr or ManifoldCF are not running, or the search server does not meet the minimum requirements for hosting Solr. (Code: REQUEST_VALIDATION_FAILED) Logs are available for this console and for the Ektron Solr Administrative Service, which may contain additional details.
- The newest version of Solr for Ektron 9.2 can register version 9.1 and higher Ektron sites.
- The 9.2SP1 version of Solr has been released.
- Solr downloads can be found here.
Be sure to follow the steps in the 9.2 documentation when installing Solr.
- Uninstall the current version of Solr. You cannot install the new version without this step.
- Apache Solr 6.x runs on Java 8 (version 1.8.x). If you previously had Java 1.7.x, uninstall it and install the latest version of Java SE Development Kit 8.
- Create a “JAVA_HOME” home variable by following these steps.
- On the Start menu, click Control Panel > double-click System.
- In the System Properties dialog, click the Advanced tab, then Environment Variables.
- In the Environment Variables dialog, in the System variables frame, click New.
- In the New System Variable dialog box, type JAVA_HOME in the Variable name field, and C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_X\ in the Variable value field. Replace X with the actual Java JDK folder you have.
- Click OK.
- Click OK to exit the System Properties dialog.
- Once complete you should be able do the following to pull up your Java JDK folder.
- Open file explorer.
- Enter %JAVA_HOME% into the address bar.
- Give the search user (see the 'log on as' user for the Ektron Solr Process Manager service) the "lock pages in memory" permission. You assign this in the machine's Local Security Policy under Local Policy > User Rights Assignment.
- Install the newest version of Solr(see download link above).
- Restart your computer.
- Follow the steps in this article: Solr Maintenance Steps