There are a few places and ways to gather eSync logs. Read below to learn different ways of setting up eSync logging.
Ektron L2/L4 Logs
These are useful for troubleshooting an EktronWindowService/Certificate issue. To find these logs:
- On the server, open Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer.
- Within Event Viewer is an Application and Services Logs folder. This will take a minute to open.
- You should see the Ektron L4 (8.5 +) or L2 logs (8.0X and lower).
These logs are useful for gaining extra information during all eSync issues.
To enable EktronWindowService logs:
- Adjust the logging in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Ektron\EktronWindowsService40\Ektron.ASM.EktronServices40.exe.config file to match the below:
<add key="DebugEnabled" value="1" /> <add key="DebugLogLevel" value="4" />
2. Restart EktronWindowService4.0 service on the server.
Do this to servers on both sides of the sync for troubleshooting.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Ektron\EktronWindowsService40\log
Sync framework trace logs
These logs are useful for gaining extra information during eSync errors, such as System.Exception. This is a much higher level of logging, so ensure there is sufficient space on the drive before doing it. Also, you may want to do this during a slow period, because the tracing increases resource usage.
To enable sync framework tracing:
- Edit the C:\Program Files (x86)\Ektron\EktronWindowsService40\Ektron.ASM.EktronServices40.exe.config file.
- Add the tags below just before the </system.diagnostics> tag.
<switches> <!-- 0-off, 1-error, 2-warn, 3-info, 4-verbose. --> <add name="SyncTracer" value="4" /> </switches> <trace autoflush="true"> <listeners> <add name="TestListener" type="System.Diagnostics.TextWriterTraceListener" initializeData="c:\TraceSampleLevel5.txt"/> </listeners> </trace>
Do this to servers on both sides of the sync.
3. Remove the contents of the EktronWindowsService40\logs folder on both sides of the sync.
4. Restart the Ektron Windows Service to initiate the change.
If the EWS doesn't start after adding the above entry:
- Remove the added <trace> entry from the EWS config.
- Above the <switches> tag, there should be another commented out trace entry. Uncomment out that entry and modify it to have the initializeData field go to C:\trace.log.
- Leave everything else the same.
- Restart EWS.